Saturday, February 25, 2012

Painting With A Miss Bennett



One month ago, I spontaneously took a trip to Plaza Artist Materials in Nashville. Before any judgements are cast, let me wholeheartedly admit that I have never painted a day in my life. This creative whim came to me largely because I struggle to find any creative action in my life that does not harbor a selfish agenda. Painting and creating visual art seemed to be something I was insecure with, therefore producing no plausible boost to my career or ego. This would be just for me

Weeks went by, and the bag full of four brushes, two canvases and a set of acrylic paints sulked in the corner of my room, staring me down. I avoided eye contact, intimidated by failure and wasted time. Finally caving, I confessed to my friend Mary Love that I was threatened by art supplies. Having been a painting minor herself, she suggested a painting party. No pressure, just cathartic and relaxing time to create whatever you want. I am happy to say that those five hours were the most untroubled and easy going five hours I have spent in a long time. 

                                                                                        Sincerely, RR


No comments:

Post a Comment