Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Switzerland // Gimmelwald

There is no better place to discover your fear of heights than in the Swiss Alps. Aboard the Shilthorn Bahn and incrementally being lifted 2,971 m above ground, I suddenly lost feeling in all my fingers and toes, realizing that our lives were dependent upon three cables. Once finally reaching the point where the entirety of the Alps are visible, (including Jungfrau), I could then kiss the peak where the Shilthorn revolving restaurant is perched and view the most spectacular sight I have ever beheld. All four of us exhaled a sigh of relief at being able to wake at seven a.m. for the cloudy mist to lift for only one hour in the course of the three days we nestled on the side of Gimmelwald.

There is also no better place to marvel at mountains resting atop mountains than in the Swiss Alps. Even on the thirtieth look at any of these mammoth rocks, I seemed to hear the opening horn chorus of the Star Wars theme song in my head. They were shocking to behold, every time. From any location in the small village you could hear cow bells tingling, a rooster crowing, and even at one time, a local playing the flute. No, I am not kidding, and how on earth could I make this stuff up?

What an incredible place to write, be inspired, embrace the sweet silence of a mountain breeze and feel blissfully small. 

















1 comment: